History of Ormiston: Originally part of the township of Cleveland, local early industry included a brickworks established by James Maskell on the eastern bank of Hilliards Creek in 1852 and fellmongery (wool scour) owned by a Thomas Blackett Stephens until the early 1860s. Land around Ormiston was bought in 1853 by Captain Louis Hope, a Scottish aristocrat and a founder of the Queensland sugar industry. Ormiston was named after the Hope's family ancestral village of Ormiston, Scotland.
Things to Do: Take a stroll along the banks of Hilliards Creek or take a bike ride along the many bike tracks. Ormiston offers a great family park area on the Western entrance to Raby Bay Canal Estate that overlooks the sparkling waters of Moreton Bay.
Landmark: In our opinion Ormiston House would have to be the landmark of Ormiston. Built for the Hope Family from 1858 and 1865 as the centre of a 325-acre (1.32 km2) sugar estate, Ormiston House is listed on the Queensland Heritage Register and has a busy and varied calendar of open days and special events that attract many visitors and tourists to sample the delights of the house and its surrounds.
Shopping: Local shops, including Eateries, Bottle Shop and Convenience Store.
Restaurants & Cafes: Ormiston has multiple Cafes and Restaurants including the Famous Tomato Brothers Wood Fired Pizza and the SA Café offering South African Cuisine and food products.
Sports and Fitness: Ormiston is the home of the Redlands Softball Association and the Redlands Amateur Boxing Club. There are many walkways and bikeways around Ormiston for all the family to enjoy.
Transport: Ormiston has its own Railway Station and also offers multiple bus stops that link to local shops and or to the City.
Distance to City: Only 25 km from Brisbane CBD